Sunday, September 28, 2008

Cuba Gooding Jr.'s ecstatic Oscar® acceptance speech

I’m into being emotional. I come from a background where it’s cool to be cool. It’s cool to be withdrawn and reserved. I make it a habit to be unmoved as much as possible by the event of people trying to impress me.

When Christ really entered my life and I saw what He did for me I couldn’t keep the repose and now it’s not unusual for me to have extreme fits of emotion (mostly tears, sometimes laughter, sometimes bombastic aggressive machismo style thumping and whooping … but mostly tears). It’s as though God says that if I think I can be cool thinking of His grace at Calvary and His forgiveness at Calvary and His mercy at Calvary and His amazing love at Calvary and restoration and reconciliation at Calvary, if I think I can just stay as cool as though someone handed me some salted cashew nuts whilst watching the football, then I have another think coming.

So to an extent I can understand how much it must mean to Cuba Gooding Jr. to win what is often perceived as the highest honour to achieve in Hollywood. I can understand the years, effort, blood, sweat and tears it has cost people to reach that height and then to reach it finally – that must be quite something. Sure it’s a bit over the top, but I don’t blame the brother. You can see, though, that this versus Calvary sees the latter winning every time and three times on the weekend. Still … Enjoy.

da man cd

No comments: