Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Fourth Doctor Regenerates

I’m all for change. No, really I am. Only last night where usually before retiring to my bedroom after a night out with the Understanding Islam seminar I might have a sumptuous meal involving beans, a beanburger or some sausage rolls with a lovely Linda McCartney country pie, last night I satisfied myself with just the Linda McCartney country pie. That was different. That was change. That was also a lovely pie, thanks Linda.

Despite that, there are some changes that in retrospect prove to be more hassle than they’re worth. For reasons beyond the control of the programme, once Tom Baker left the role it’s almost as though the channel didn’t take the character as seriously anymore. Not so much with Davison who was a good antidote to people used to Tom, but a lack of true investment in the programme churning out quality episodes supporting the actor in the main role it would not be until a generation later with the portrayal by David Tennant that you felt the character was given what it’s worth. Still, Tom had set the bar pretty high and it would take something extraordinary to meet that standard. The guy himself may hold some opinions on which we severely differ, but he’s still my favourite Doctor and as necessary as it was for things to change, I was still sad that it happened. Enjoy.

da man cd

No comments: